• Decrease Text Size
  • Increase Text Size

Lincoln ES Science Fair




Transferring from one school to another-resident and non-resident

Students who reside within the Olympia School District are required to attend the school inside the boundary of their residence.



Students who want to attend a school other than their assigned school (this includes resident and non-resident) must submit a transfer request in accordance with OSD Policy 3131 and Policy 3141.



In District and Non-Resident Transfer Requests (click button)


2024-25 Transfers


Step by step instructions to submit a transfer request

Please Note: Decisions regarding Kindergarten transfers for the 24/25 school year will not be provided until late August/early September 2024.



Important things to consider before submitting a transfer request

Due to varying enrollment, not every school in the OSD is open for Within District (Resident) and/or Out-of-District (Non-resident) transfers. Requests are granted based on capacity of the requested school, grade level and services needed.


A student shall attend the school designated for the student’s area of residence, as defined in Policy 3130. Student's school and resident school district is based on where the student resides. Approval or denial of a transfer request is based on criteria outlined in OSD Board Policy 3131 for resident students and Policy 3141for nonresident students. All transfer requests will be handled at the district office.


Optional Programs

These transfer steps do not apply to students seeking enrollment at Lincoln Options (Lincoln ES), HAP (Hansen ES), JAMS (Jefferson MS), Marshall CSI (Marshall MS), Reeves RAMS (Reeves MS) unless the student seeks to attend that school in the general population. Please see the Educational Programs section of our website for more details on how to apply to these specific programs.


Please Note: Olympia Regional Learning Academy and Avanti High School have an established application process. Please visit their school websites for details.



Griffin and McCleary Students

Griffin and McCleary students do not need to apply to attend Capital High School. They do need to go through the application process for Olympia High School by submitting a new transfer request, which will then add them to the waitlist.


OSD students will be enrolled prior to other out-of-district students, but not before a Capital High School student wishing to attend Olympia High School. Once a student is enrolled in an OSD high school, that school will become their home high school for four years. Students are not required to apply each year.


Transportation is provided for Griffin students to attend Capital High School. If a Griffin or McCleary student wishes to enroll at ORLA or Avanti, they will need to go through the established application process for these schools. Shelton students attending Griffin will need to apply to attend an OSD school as a nonresident student.



What are the different types of transfers?


New in-district transfer request

This request is for the first time a parent or legal guardian submits a request for their student to attend a school outside of their regular attendance area within the Olympia School District.

New non-resident transfer request
This is a first time request for a student who resides outside of the OSD and would like to attend a school within the OSD.

Renewal request

Renewal requests are for any student attending an OSD school as an in-district or non-resident student. This is to be completed the subsequent school years following the acceptance of a new request.


Do I have to submit a new request every year for my student to remain in the school they transferred to?


Yes. You must submit a renewal request each year, with the exception of when your student is “moving up”. “ Moving up” is when a student goes from preschool to kindergarten, from 5th to 6th grade and 8th to 9th grade, these transitions require a new transfer request if the student does not reside in the boundary of the requested school.


Please Note: Transfer students are not guaranteed enrollment from year to year, but the intent is for students to continue year to year in the school where accepted.


If my student is a non-resident of the OSD and attending an OSD school (via a transfer request), do I have to inform the State of Washington?

Yes. If you have submitted a request for your student to attend an OSD school and you do not reside within the OSD, you are required to submit a “Choice Transfer Request” via the Washington State Choice Transfer Request Portal.


If your student is a non-resident and you are submitting a renewal request, please submit the Choice transfer form after your renewal has been approved.

Please Note: Choice Transfer submission is required to be completed annually by the State of Washington.


We live in the OSD but want our student to attend a school in another Washington State school district. What do we do?

Visit the website of the district you would like your child to attend to determine their transfer process.

If you are approved to attend the non OSD school, please submit a “Choice Transfer Request” via the Washington State Choice Transfer Request Portal after you receive confirmation that the request has been approved.


Will I be notified of the status of my request?

Yes. The Elementary and Secondary Education Departments (in collaboration with the schools) will determine if they are able to approve, deny or add your student’s name to a waitlist. Decisions will be made with consideration to space and/or program capacity.


Once a determination is made, the district office will contact the parent or legal guardian via email. In the event your request is added to a waitlist the district will contact you if space and/or program capacity becomes available.


Will my student qualify for transportation if granted a new or renewed transfer request?

No. Parents or guardians are responsible for transportation of their students who voluntarily attend a school outside of their resident attendance area.


Do I have the option to choose more than one school?


Yes. On the form there is an option to choose a school for your first choice and your second choice. We will do our best to place your student in the school you choose first and if we are unable to, we will look at your second choice.




Contact Information


Elementary Education

(360) 596-6113
[email protected]


Secondary Education

(360) 596-8545
[email protected]