Citizens Facilities Advisory Committee Update
On Monday, Aug. 17 Assistant Superintendent Jennifer Priddy presented the school board with a first look at the Citizens Facility Advisory Committee's work over the spring and summer. The committee has been working on recommendations for the board about facilities that need changes, remodels or upgrades. You will find that presentation here. You will also find additional details at this link. Part of the process involves holding community forums on the district's construction options and proposed plan. Those community forums are tentatively scheduled for September 23 at 6:30 p.m. at Garfield Elementary, and September 30 at 6:30 p.m. at the Knox Administrative Center. Watch this site for additional information as the dates get closer.
Annual Yearly Progress Information
As required by federal law, the Olympia School District has just mailed Annual Yearly Progress (AYP) letters to district families. For more information click the link below.
OSD Budget Finalized
The Olympia School District has finalized its budget for the 2015-16 school year. Among other positive notes, the budget reduces class sizes in kindergarten through third grade, provides after-school activity buses for students in our middle schools, expands free full-day kindergarten, enacts the Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) system district-wide, and provides cost-of-living increases for our staff. To read more about the OSD's final budget, click on the link below.
Safe Schools Alert
Safety is our top priority. SafeSchools Alert is a reporting system that allows students, staff, and parents to submit concerns to our administration in four different ways; phone, text, email or via the web. Anyone may easily report on bullying, harassment, alcohol/other drugs, vandalism or safety concerns through the SafeSchools Alert process. Tips may be submitted anonymously.
If you have questions, contact your school principal or the District Compliance Officer, Jeff Carpenter at (360) 596-8544.
2015-16 School Supply Lists
Supply lists for the upcoming 2015-16 school year are now available!
Ingersoll Stadium Closed for Turf Replacement
Ingersoll Stadium is closed through early September for installation of new field turf. During the closure there is no public access to Ingersoll, including key card access, due to the work that is ongoing across the entire turf area and staging of the work in the area along the track. There is a football game scheduled for Friday, Sept. 4 (CHS vs. Tumwater - Go Cougars!), which will be conducted as planned, but the stadium likely will not be open to the public until school starts as the finishing touches are put on the project. The new turf will replace an 11-year-old surface that has exceeded its eight-year life span. Thanks to everyone for their patience as the district undertakes this important safety project!
2015-16 School Calendar
The 2015-16 school year calendar has been finalized. Here are some of the significant changes:
- A recent survey showed elementary and middle school families preferred early releases to late starts for teacher collaboration time. The new calendar honors that request by ending late starts and moving to early releases for elementary and middle schools.
- There will be fewer of these early releases than there were late starts this year. This will present fewer disruptions to learning time and provide larger time blocks for teacher collaboration in elementary and middle schools.
- There will be more consistency in that all early releases will be a half day.
- High schools will not have early releases except for Friday, Nov. 13, Friday, Jan. 29 and Friday, June 17 (for grading).
- The spring elementary conference week has been moved to be right before spring break, much like our neighboring districts.
Click the link below to view the 2015-16 calendar.
- Monday, August 31st
- MMS: Orientation Day
- OHS: Bear Crew Training
- OHS: Volleyball @ CISPUS
- STAD: FIELD CLOSED FOR CONSTRUCTION
- OHS: Drill Practice
- CHS: Fall Athletic Parent Night
- OHS: Child Nutrition Meeting
- OHS: Cheer Practice