Title I Part A Complaint Procedures

  • Decrease Text Size
  • Increase Text Size

Citizen Complaints - Federal Programs

Title I, Part A is a federal program designed “To provide all children significant opportunity to receive a fair, equitable, and high-quality education, and to close educational achievement gaps.” Title I, Part A can support Early Learning and Kindergarten through Grade 12. Title I, Part A programs and services provide customized instruction and curricula that help students meet academic standards and take an active, engaged interest in what they learn and can do. As the oldest and largest federal education program, Title I, Part A programs create an equity of opportunity for children whose struggles often keep them on the academic sidelines. One-third of the public schools in Washington State operate Title I, Part A programs, providing academic services to over 350,000 students annually. In the Olympia School District, the following elementary schools receive Title I, Part A funds: Garfield, Hansen, Roosevelt, Madison, and LP Brown. If you would like to file a complaint concerning how the Olympia School District uses Title I, Part A funds, please review the information below.


Complaints Related to Federal Programs

A citizen complaint is a written statement that alleges a violation of a federal rule, law or regulation or state regulation that applies to a federal program.
  • Anyone can file a citizen complaint.
  • There is no special form.
  • There is no need to know the law that governs a federal program to file a complaint.


The following federal programs are part of the citizen complaint process:

Title Programs

Title I, A Programs and services for struggling learners

Title I, C Migrant Education
Title I, D Institutional Education
Title I, G Advanced Placement
Title II, A Teacher & Principal Quality
Title III Limited English Proficient & Immigrant Students — Language Instruction
Title IV, B 21st Century Community Learning Centers
Title VI Rural Education Achievement Program
Title VII Indian, Native Hawaiian, Alaska Native Education  

File a Citizen Complaint Against a School District, Educational Service District (ESD) or Other School Service Provider (Subgrantee)

This printable handouts below outline the 5-step process through which a citizen can file a complaint against a school district or other school service provider. 

English | Russian | Spanish | Vietnamese


Other Resources & Organizations

Who to contact if you have questions related to discrimination and professional practices


For more information, please call Bob Hodges, Olympia Schools, @ 360.596.6595 or navigate to -