School board goals for 2017-18 school year
1. By September 15, 2017, engage the services of WSSDA to provide the School District with a review of its board policies as a preliminary step in the work of completing a full policy and procedure update by June 2018.
2. By November 1, 2017, develop a mentoring plan for new board members to be implemented soon after the election of new members. The purpose of the plan is to orient the new directors to the work of the school board as well as to form a new, collaborative, inclusive team.
2. By June 2018, with the engagement of the local community, create a new strategic plan for the purpose of managing the future work of the district. That work will include establishing agreement among Olympia School District stakeholders around shared core beliefs and student outcomes, setting priorities, focusing resources, strengthening operations, and ensuring that all staff are working toward common goals.
The 2018-2023 strategic plan must include and embed:
- the continued development of a District vision for equity and the organizational development required to enact the vision;
- attention to the social/emotional aspect of student mental health;
- initial steps based on recommendations from the 2017 Early Learning Report;
- actionable goals/objectives to close the achievement/opportunity gaps.