The District was awarded a Green Leadership Award in 2013. In 2012 and 2011 Puget Sound Energy recognized our program for excellence.
OSPI Awards Olympia School District Jobs Now Energy Efficiency Grant
The Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction announced in 2013 that we were awarded funding for energy efficiency projects. The grant is $241,700, plus Puget Sound Energy has pledged $25,000 in conservation grants and rebates and the City of Olympia will provide $5000 for irrigation upgrades. Funds will help us install heating and ventilation upgrades. water heaters and controls at Hansen Elementary, 50 KW of solar energy at Roosevelt Elementary, safety upgrades to our computer mainframe and water saving irrigation improvements at our sports The solar panels were part of a Community Solar project funded by OlySol LLC installed by Senset Air Inc.
Energy Star Awards
In 2013 the Olympia School District Board of Directors awarded Energy Star Awards to individuals who have made a significant contribution to saving energy at our District. We congratulate these winners for their outstanding achievements:
Star Savers from the Support Services Center for
- Ian Tharp, HVAC Tech
- Greg Deer, HVAC Tech
- Arne Ranta, Head Custodian, Jefferson Middle School
Leadership in Saving Resources
- Tim Byrne, Capital Panning & Construction, Supervisor
- Julie DeRuwe, Support Services Center, Supervisor
- Paul Flock, Child Nutrition Program, Supervisor
- Fred Stanley, Transportation Department, Supervisor
Teachers: for Leading our Students:
- Ed Bassett, Olympia High School, Earthcorps Advisor
- Ryan Hook, Capital High School, Environmental Club, Advisor
- Kathy Dorgan, Olympia High School, Performing Arts
Energy Star Schools
Thirteen schools have been awarded Energy Star Certification for achieving energy efficiency greater than 75% of schools in the nation.
- Olympia HS
- Capital HS
- Jefferson MS
- Marshall MS
- Reeves MS
- Washington MS
- Boston Harbor ES
- Centennial ES
- Hansen ES
- Lincoln ES
- LP Brown ES (pending)
- Madison ES
- McKenny ES
PSE Awards Incentive for Energy Saving
In January 2013, Puget Sound Energy awarded the Olympia School Districrt RCM Program an incentive of $28,000 for achieving its energy savings goals in 2011-2012.
- Save Cool, Save Money No-Cost and Low-Cost Tips to Save Energy This Summer. US Department of Energy.
- We can all save energy when we switch off or unplug items not in use.
- Make sure that Recalled Space Heaters are not at school or in your home.
- Read our Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction Plan to see how we can reduce our carbon footprint.
Congratulations to the Puget Sound Energy 2011 RCMmy Award winners for Operations and Maintenance Ian Tharp and Greg Deer, seen here congratulated by Superintendent Bill Lahmann. Ian and Greg work for Support Services Center Supervisor Julie DeRuwe as Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning technicans. Their work keeps our systems running, while helping the District to save energy and money. They have been instrumental in finding and fixing problems and identifying innovative ways to do more with less.