High School Health and Fitness Requirements
(Fitness waiver request form can be downloaded here)
“Questions & Answers”
- What are the graduation requirements for Health and Fitness?
- All students must successfully complete two credits of health and fitness during their four years of high school. This requirement includes classes in both health education and fitness education.
- Can a student waive any portion of this requirement?
- Yes. Students may apply for and receive a waiver for all or part of the second year of the fitness portion of this requirement.
- How many hours of athletic participation do they have to complete, to waive a portion of the second year?
- To waive a complete year: 150 hours
- To waive two trimesters: 100 hours
- To waive one semester: 75 hours
- To waive one trimester: 50 hours
- What requirements does a student have to meet to qualify for a waiver?
- Students must meet three basic requirements:
- Receive a passing grade in the required 9th Grade Health and Fitness Course;
- Be an active participant in school athletic programs and/or directed community-based sports/activities for the designated number of hours during their sophomore and/or junior year; and,
- Be continually enrolled in six subject matter classes each trimester/semester prior to applying for a waiver and maintain continual enrollment in six subject matter classes during grades 10 through 12; (TA, late start/early release will not count as a subject matter class.)
- How can a student begin the process?
- Pick up a Fitness Requirement Waiver Form from your school counselor.
- Record all activities and times taking place after February 13, 2006.
- Who must sign the Fitness Requirement Waiver Form?
- The school coach or person who is supervising a community-based sport/activity program must sign the form.
- After completing the required number of hours, what has to be done?
- After completing the required number of hours of school athletics and/or directed community-based sports/activities, the completed and signed Fitness Requirement Waiver Form must be completed and submitted to the school counselor before June 15, of the student’s junior year.
- What happens if a student fails to complete all of the conditions and requirements?
- If a student does not complete all of the conditions and requirements, a waiver will not be granted and the student must take a health and fitness class to complete the graduation requirement.
- Does this affect a student’s grade point average and the number of credits needed to graduate?
- No. A waiver, under this policy, will not allow a student to graduate with less credits than required. A fitness class waiver only allows students to take another subject area class.
- Where do I download the waiver request form?