Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports
What is PBIS?
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is a school-wide, multi-tiered, behavior framework comprised of evidence-based practices and systems, established to improve behavior and academic outcomes for ALL students.
How does school-wide PBIS look?
Although school-wide PBIS may look different in each school, there are certain critical components that identify PBIS schools. These components include:
- A school leadership team that guides, implements, and monitors PBIS
- School-wide expectations are defined, taught, and acknowledged
- A consistent system is established to discourage problem behaviors
- Teams utilize data to inform decisions
- Families are aware and involved
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports is a positive and effective alternative to traditional discipline methods. Research indicates that schools implementing PBIS have a more positive school climate, decrease in behavior incidents and increased academic performance.
- Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS)
- What is School Wide PBIS - OSEP Technical Assistance Center
- Response to Intervention (RTI) & PBIS